Monday, 8 October 2012
Making a custom boot trim carpet
I am not sure whether my car came originally with a boot carpet kit, but the case is that actually the car has any.
I wanted to give it a better look and cover it with some trim so made some search for a nice pre-cut kit. The quotations I got plus shipping cost where not very appellant, so as many times I decided to make a “weekend project”.
To do so, I just needed to get some square meters of carpet and ended up at the huge hardware store Leroy Merlin where they had several very cheap carpets that should do the job for the moment. After 10 minutes looking at the various colours available I ended up with the classic dark grey carpet, so I ordered a 2 square meter cut (2mx1m).
I know…. that carpet is rubbish some would say, compared with those beautiful carpet kit sold, but those ones cost about 70 eur, compared to the 8 eur (4 eur square meter), and I still have plenty of other important things to spend my money on.
The difficult job was trimming the carpet. What I did was fitting in the boot a huge thin paper and trim it, then lay down the paper on the rear side (important!! not the front side!) and with a chalk, draw an oversized image which I cut with some big scissors.